VMware Certified Professional (VCP) certification validates an individual’s expertise in VMware vSphere and its related technologies. This means that a VCP is capable of installing, configuring, administering and supporting data center virtualization in VMware vSphere environment.
In addition to the basic VMware VCP certification, there are four more areas of expertise for the candidates to choose from and specialize in:
- Data Center Virtualization (DCV)
- Network Virtualization (NV)
- Cloud Management and Automation (CMA)
- Desktop and Mobility (DTM)
Let us now focus on the five essential things that a candidate must understand before preparing for the exam.
- The certification course requires six months experience in VMware vSphere implementation, which can also be replaced by an equivalent hands-on training and education.
- The candidate must also pass the vSphere Foundations Exam and an elective exam to specialize in a specific technology track.
- The candidates are expected to receive a training for the exam by attending a certification course.
Skills measured in VCP exam
- Installing, configuring, upgrading and securing vCenter Server and VMware ESXi
- Understanding vSphere Architecture
- Configuring vNetwork Standard and Distributed Switches
- Creating, deploying and managing virtual machines, VM Clones, templates and vApps
- Backing up or restoring virtual machines using VMware Data Recovery
- Troubleshooting vSphere network, storage and ESXi hosts
- Configuring VLAN settings
VMware is the market leader in virtualization solutions and offers a lucrative career in the field of data center virtualization. VMware certifications increase opportunities for career advancement and provide professional recognition among peers as well as employers.
VMware increases the chances of getting hired manifold and that too in a short time span and makes you eligible for job roles such as:
- Systems Administrator
- Information Technology Manager
- Systems Engineer
- Data Center Engineer
- Solutions Architect
- VMware Consultant
The average salary for VMware Certified Professionals ranges from $65,328 per year for an Administrator to $121,717 per year for a Development Operations Engineer.
The salaries for VCPs are quite attractive and increase with the increase in experience.