Acquiring skills and certifications can certainly help give a boost to your salary and increase the prospects of a promotion. On average, an individual in the IT industry who holds a certification has a salary 10% higher. Employees with strong certifications are viewed as assets to the organisation and are deemed to be experts who want to excel in their field. Having an advanced IT certification not only helps you bag a higher pay but also helps you to create a niche skillset for yourself. There are many well-reputed certifications in the IT industry today, but these are the hottest, highest paying IT certifications on the market today:
Certified in the Governance of Enterprise IT (CGEIT)
Average Salary: $121,363
The CGEIT is a vendor-neutral certification that tests, validates and certifies IT governance skills, knowledge and practical experience of an individual. CGEIT certification is generally obtained by individuals with advisory and assurance of IT roles within an organisation. To attain the certification the candidate must:
- Obtain minimum marks in the CGEIT examination.
- Adhere to ISACA Code of Professional Ethics.
- Commit to abide by the CGEIT Continuing Professional Education Policy
- A minimum of 5 years of experience managing, serving in an advisory or oversight role, and/or otherwise supporting the governance of the IT-related contribution to an enterprise.
AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate
Average Salary: $121,292
All Amazon Web Services Certifications are in-demand this year. This AWS certification is designed for individuals who perform a solutions architect role. This is the prerequisite step to achieving the AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Professional certification.
It demonstrates an individual’s expertise in designing and deploying scalable systems on AWS. The prerequisites for achieving this certification are:
- One year or more of hands-on experience designing systems on AWS.
- Knowledge of at least one high-level programming language.
- An understanding of best practices around developing AWS-based applications.
Alos Read: Getting Success with AWS Certification
Project Management Professional (PMP)
Average Salary: $114,473
The Project Management Professional Certification Training is often considered as the gold standard in certification for project managers. This is a popular certification which makes it highly competitive too. Currently, there are 770,000 active PMPs in more than 210 countries and territories worldwide. However, to be eligible to obtain this certification there are some prerequisites which must be met:
- Four Year Secondary Degree
- 4500 hours experience leading and directing projects.
- High School Diploma
- 7500 hours experience leading and directing projects.
And in order to maintain the PMP Certification 60 professional development units (PDUs, similar to the CPEs in other certifications) are required every three years.
AWS Certified Developer – Associate
Average Salary: $114,148
This certification shows the candidates ability to develop and maintain applications on the Amazon Web Services Platform. Fundamentals which you may understand through this examination include:
- Picking the right AWS services for the application.
- Leveraging AWS SDKs to interact with AWS services from your application.
- Writing code that optimizes the performance of AWS services used by your application.
- Code-level application security.
The prerequisites for this examination are:
- One or more years of hands-on experience designing and maintaining an AWS-based application
- In-depth knowledge of at least one high-level programming language
- Understanding of core AWS services, uses, and basic architecture best practices
- Proficiency in designing, developing, and deploying cloud-based solutions using AWS
- Experience with developing and maintaining applications written for Amazon Simple Storage Service, Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon Simple Queue Service, Amazon Simple Notification Service, Amazon Simple Workflow Service, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, and AWS CloudFormation.
Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
Average Salary: $111,475
This is an independent information security certification granted by the International Information System Security Certification Consortium which is also known as (ISC)2. CISSP Certification is a widely recognized certification that broadly tests, evaluates and validates an individual’s knowledge, skills and experience in the field of information security. The exam is based around eight areas in computer security, including security and risk management, communications and network security, software development security, asset security, security architecture and engineering, identity and access management, security assessment and testing, and security operations. To remain certified, CISSPs must earn Continuous Professional Education (CPE) credits every year.
The prerequisites for the CISSP examination are:
- requires at least five years of experience in Information Security (IS).
- CISSP candidates must have at least five years of full-time, paid experience in at least two of the eight areas tested.