On 1st of June 2016, Microsoft launched a new version of the SQL database platform known as SQL Server 2016. Apart from the changes to the database platform, even the certification pathway for the SQL Server 2016 has been updated with a few changes.
In this post, we’ll have a look at the changes made to this new version of SQL as well as the changes in the MCSA SQL server 2016 certification pathway.
New Functions and Features of SQL Server 2016
Some of the most important enhancements in the new database platform include-
- All the employees using SQL server on any kind of device will now have access to business intelligence. This also includes Android, iOS, and Windows devices.
- Advanced encryption abilities to ensure that the data is always protected no matter if it is in motion or being used.
- A database system backing for the main memory for all the workload which can handle performance surges of up to 100 times.
- Cloud functions which can be used for installing hybrid architectures which can divide the workload and assignments throughout Microsoft Azure to help organizations reduce costs and offer better agility to the users.
- Integrated R support with improved analytics to enable clients use predictive analytics immediately on the analytical and operational data.
Updates in the MCSA SQL Server 2016 certification and Training Pathway
For SQL Server 2014 and 2012, you were required first to get MCSA in basics of the SQL Server after which you were allowed to go for role-based certifications. With the 2016 version, Microsoft has moved back to the pathway of SQL Server 2008 by again introducing role-based certifications right at the MCSA level.
There are now three different pathways for 2016 SQL certification which focus on different roles like Database Development, Database Administration, and Business Intelligence.
1. Database Administration Certification
With the help of this certification, candidates can learn about administering, developing and managing SQL Server 2016. You’ll also learn about how you should approve and handle user access, create and assign different database roles and automate server management.
Installing, configuring and managing SQL Server 2016 will also be focused upon in this course. The certification is ideal for professional database administrators who use SQL Server 2016 regularly. You need to clear two exams to get the certification in Database Administration. The exams are-
- Administering SQL Database Infrastructure- Exam 70-745
- Provisioning of SQL Database- Exam 70-765
Just clear the 70-765 exam if you have SQL Server 2012/2014 certification to get the MCSA certification in Database Administration of SQL Server 2016.
2. Database Development Certification
The development course teaches you how to use Transact-SQL language which is common for all the disciplines of SQL Server. This knowledge is not just required for the development of database but also for business intelligence and administration of the database.
You’ll also learn skills like advanced table designs, in-memory tables, and column store indexes in detail. This certification is for professionals who closely work with the 2016 version of SQL Server, create and manage databases and are looking to improve their SQL competencies. To get this certification, you need to clear two exams-
- Data Querying with Transact-SQL- Exam 70-761
- SQL Database Development- Exam 70-762
If you already have SQL Server 2012/2014 certification, you can get the MCSA certification for SQL Server 2016 in Database Development by just clearing the 70-762 examination.
3. Business Intelligence Development
If you want to learn business Intelligence fundamentals of SQL Server 2016, this course is for you. With it, you’ll be able to learn about how you can use data warehouse solutions of SQL Server 2016 for supporting business intelligence. Apart from this, you’ll also get to learn about all the important features and functions of the latest version of SQL Server for producing business solutions.
After completing this course, you’ll be able to process, question, analyse, and report very large quantities of raw data related to the business. Data mining, DAX, MDX and creating multidimensional cubes and databases are some other important parts of this course. If you use SQL Server 2016 and are involved in the business intelligence department, this certification is sure to benefit your career.
Two exams that you need to clear to get SQL certification in Business Intelligence Development include-
- Implementation of SQL Data Warehouse- Exam 70-767
- Developing Data Models in SQL- Exam 70-768
You only need to clear 70-768 exam to get Business Intelligence Development certification of SQL Server 2016 if you already have SQL Server 2012/2014 certification.
If you are planning to get MCSA certification in SQL Server 2016 and become a Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate, these are the certifications that you can take for the latest 2016 version of SQL Server. With the increasing demand for certified database professionals, these certifications can significantly improve the growth prospect of your career and will keep you up-to-date with all the latest features and functions of SQL.
Also Read– SQL Server Interview Question & Answers