PRINCE2, a structured project management method, stands for Projects IN Controlled Environments. It lets you across all the essentials of managing a project successfully. Initially intended for IT environments only, it generously covers all other segments of the industry and all types of projects. Originally released in the year 1996 as a generic project management method, it is now a de facto standard for project management in many UK government departments as well as private sector businesses. Basically, PRINCE2 emphasizes dividing projects into easily manageable and controllable stages.
In the year 2013, the ownership rights of PRINCE2 got transferred from HM Cabinet Office to AXELOS Ltd, whose ownership is shared between Cabinet Office and Capita plc.
If you are interested in project management kind of roles, then PRINCE2 certification can help you with your career growth. The certification path follows two steps: PRINCE2 Foundation and PRINCE2 Practitioner. PRINCE2 training certification course prepares you for both and acquaints you with this de facto standard, which is now used worldwide.
During the course of the training, you gain expertise in project management, guidelines and best practices as per PRINCE2 standards.
An Overview of PRINCE2
A principles-driven project management methodology, it comprises seven principles, seven themes and seven processes.
Themes are the important aspects of any project that must be persistently addressed and linked for successful execution of a project. The seven themes include:
- Business case
Seven principles are the universal set of principles or good practice that can be applied to any project. Take a look at the seven principles:
- Continued Business Justification
- Learn from Experience
- Defined Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage by Stages
- Manage by Exception
- Focus on Products
- Tailor to Suit the Project Environment
The seven processes are actually the crucial steps required to manage, direct and deliver a project successfully. The seven processes comprise of:
- Starting up a Project
- Initiating a Project
- Directing a Project
- Controlling a Stage
- Managing Product Delivery
- Managing a Stage Boundary
- Closing a Project
The principles and themes apply in the seven processes.
Why should you get PRINCE2 Certification?
With a PRINCE2 certification, you gain a competitive edge among your peer. It is the validation of your abilities to perform as a project management practitioner and aptness to apply PRINCE2 methodologies.
The certification is the recognition of your knowledge, skills and abilities. Also, it serves as an unbiased endorsement of your project management skills on a global level.
PRINCE2 certification is an achievement, which demonstrates your abilities as a global project management leader.
With this certification, you are able to explore better job opportunities ensuring greater earnings. Certification holders can also expect a higher salary increase.
Career advancement is also one of the many advantages of PRINCE2 certification. Because it reflects your readiness to take greater job responsibilities, you can expect a respectable position in an organization.
Preparing for this certification requires you to study and review current management processes and technologies employed for the same. Therefore, it improves your skills and knowledge, which is highlighted by the certificate you earn.
With knowledge, skills, competence and industry exposure, you build a sense of self-confidence. You are ready to define yourself beyond a job title.
First step: PRINCE2 Foundation Training
The PRINCE2 Foundation training emphasizes theory and ensures that the delegates feel confident in practical applications of PRINCE2 in the professional arena. You should understand the principles, themes and processes in detail.
The Foundation exam evaluates the ability of a candidate to act as an informed member of a project management team using PRINCE2. Successful exam validates the understanding of a candidate in PRINCE2 principles, themes, processes, and its terminology.
After the Foundation training, a candidate is able to:
- Elaborate the purpose and content of all roles, each of the seven principles, themes and processes.
- Determine which management projects are input to and/or output from the seven processes.
- Determine the key contents, and prime objective of the management products.
- Establish the relationship between processes, management dimensions, roles and deliverables of a project.
- Format: multiple choice
- Prerequisites: none
- Total questions: 75
- Trial questions: 5
- 35 marks (50%) required to pass
- Duration: 1 hour
- Closed book
Second Step: PRINCE2 Practitioner Training
PRINCE2 Practitioner training and certification confirms that the candidate has achieved the understanding of how to apply PRINCE2 in real projects. With suitable direction, the candidate will be able to apply the methods to an existing project for its successful execution.
Some of the PRINCE2 learning objectives are only required at the Practitioner level. While the Foundation exam assesses your knowledge of PRINCE2 principles, themes, processes and roles, Practitioner exam evaluates your aptness to apply PRINCE2 methodology within a given case scenario.
You can also checkout: What is Prince2 Foundation And Practitioner Exam
After successful PRINCE Practitioner training and exam, a candidate will be able to:
- Generate thorough explanation of all principles, themes and processes, and proven examples of all PRINCE2 products to apply them to address the particular project scenario
- Demonstrate their understanding of relationships between principles, themes and processes, and PRINCE2 products, and their ability to apply this understanding
- Show that they understand the motive behind the principles, themes and processes, and they also comprehend the principles underneath these elements
- Prerequisites: PRINCE2 Foundation, PMP®, CAPM®, IPMA-D, IPMA-C, IPMA-B, or IPMA-A
- Format: objective testing, 8 questions X 10 items
- 55% marks required to pass
- Open book: official PRINCE2 manual
Important study tips:
- Collect good study material. The official website of AXELOS can help you with that.
- Get a sample paper or two to analyse your knowledge level and pin point your weak areas. Doing this will also help you get used to the exam formal. You can download a sample paper from AXELOS official website.
- Sometimes the methods followed in your organization may not help. So stick to the methodologies of PRINCE2 only while answering.
- Practice hard, as it will make you hone your skills.