Splunk training course will equip you with the skills needed to analyze machine-generated data using Splunk software. The Splunk Analytics will let you parse huge volumes of data. This Splunk certification course includes training in basic search, sharing and saving of results, creating tags and event types, generating reports, and charts creation. It will help you master splunk architecture, Splunk syslog, syslog server, log analysis, alerts, search, and dashboards and make you a successful Splunk developer.
Implementing Splunk will definitely transform your business and take it to the next level. But the question is: Do you posses the skills and abilities to be a Splunker? If yes, then set yourselves for the most gruesome job interview because the competition is intense. You can start by going through the most common Splunk interview questions which are mentioned in this blog.
- What is Splunk? Why is Splunk used for analyzing machine data?
Splunk is Google for your machine data. It’s a software/engine used for visualizing, searching, reporting, and monitoring your enterprise data. Splunk takes valuable machine data and turns it into powerful operational intelligence by giving real time insight to your data through charts, alerts, reports etc.
Splunk is used for analyzing machine data because it can give insights into application management, IT operations, security, compliance, fraud detection, threat visibility etc.
- What are components of splunk/splunk architecture?
- Search head – provides GUI for searching
- Indexer – indexes machine data and information.
- Forwarder -Forwards logs to Indexer
- Deployment server -Manages splunk components in distributed environment.
- What is the use of License Master in Splunk?
License master in Splunk is responsible for ensuring that the perfect amount of data gets indexed. Splunk license is based on the data volume that comes to the platform within a 24hr window and thus, it is vital to ensure that the environment stays within the limits of the purchased volume.
- What is Splunk DB connect?
It is a general SQL database plugin that allows you to easily add database information with Splunk queries and reports. It provides reliable, scalable and real-time integration between Splunk Enterprise and relational databases.
- Explain ‘license violation’ from Splunk viewpoint.
If you surpass the data limit, then you will be shown a ‘license violation’ error. The license warning that is thrown up, will persist for 14 days. In a commercial or business license you can have 5 warnings within a 30 day rolling window before which your Indexer’s search results and reports stop triggering. In a free version, it will show only 3 counts of warning.
- What is summary index in splunk?
The Summary index is the default summary index (the index that plunk Enterprise uses if you do not indicate another one). If you decide to run many types of summary index reports you may need to create additional summary indexes.
- What is the different between stats and eventstats commands?
Stats command create summary statistics of every single existing fields in your indexed list and save them as values in new fields. Eventstats is similar to the stats command, except that aggregation results are added inline to every event and only if the total is pertinent to that event. Eventstats computes the requested statistics like stats, but aggregates them to the original raw data.
- What are Splunk buckets? Explain the bucket lifecycle.
A directory that contains indexed data is known as a Splunk bucket. It also contains events of a certain period. Bucket lifecycle includes following stages:
• Hot – It contains recently indexed data and is open for writing. For each index, there are one or more hot buckets available
• Warm – In warm stage data rolled from hot
• Cold – Cold stage data rolled from warm
• Frozen – Data rolled from cold. The indexer deletes frozen data by default but users can also archive it.
• Thawed – Information restored from an archive file. If you archive frozen data , you can later return it to the index by thawing (defrosting) it.
- Explain the function of Alert Manager?
Alert manager displays the list of most recently fired alerts, for example, alert instances. It gives a link to view the search results from that triggered alert. It also displays the alert’s name, app, type (scheduled, real-time, or rolling window), severity and mode.
- Explain the difference between search head pooling and search head clustering?
Search head pooling is a group of connected servers that are used to share load, Configuration and client data whereas search head clustering is a part of splunk enterprise search heads used to serve as a central resource for searching. Since the search head cluster supports member interchangeability, the same dashboards and searches can be run and viewed from any member of the cluster.