A System Administrator holds the responsibility to set up and maintain a server or/and network. The position is also known as systems administrator, IT systems administrator, Network admin or sys admin. The duties a sys admin is assigned with are extensive. Generally, they are given charge to install, support and maintain servers or systems; to plan and respond to service outages as well as other problems. An IT systems administrator is required to possess a powerful hold on security of servers and the network; for instance – detecting firewalls and intrusion. For flawless performance of a system administrator’s job, you must be equipped with a good combination of responsibility and expertise. If you are prepared to take care of responsibilities that a System Administrator’s position brings, read the account below.
System Administrator Job Responsibilities
A system administrator has to be immensely skilled, knowledgeable and dependable as his/her job role asks for a number of responsible tasks to be fulfilled without compromise. Job responsibilities assigned to a system administrator encompass –
- To install and configure new software and hardware
- To address technical inquiries and deal with annoyed clients at times
- To troubleshoot reported problems
- To execute routine audits of software and computers
- To setup user security policies
- To add, remove or update information of user accounts, resetting passwords and the like
- To analyze system logs and identify potential matters with servers
- To monitor performance of servers and network communication
- To document and configure the servers and ensure security
- To fine-tune system performance
- To implement policies for using the computer and network
- To apply OS patches, updates as well as configuration changes
- To make sure that the network set-up is up and doing well
- To create back-ups and recover policy
- To verify proper functioning of peripherals
- To introduce and integrate latest technologies into existing data center systems
- To quickly repair hardware in case it crashes
- To update server immediately as soon as an application software and new OS version is introduced
Larger companies don’t designate system administrators as system engineers, system designers or system architects. Often, senior system administrators have good working experience and are expert in such other spheres. Though in smaller organizations, roles between system administrator and other technical jobs are not provided well-defined demarcations. Job role of a system administrator is quite generic. IT/computing skills are not very regularly distinguished in detail. In such organizations, sys admins are looked upon as personnel who are very well-acquainted with functioning of computer systems and are capable enough to address in case any system failure occurs.
Recent Blog Posts by Koenig:
To become a skilled System Administrator, it is vital to acquire certification from a renowned institution. With Oracle Solaris 10 System Administrator course, you can gain your full potential in this IT domain. Koenig Solutions opens its doors for you to join this Oracle accredited course. Your capabilities are built and shaped with this certification by Oracle so that you can perfectly perform job responsibilities of a System Administrator.